Where can I get more info about the three roles?
Read updated job descriptions for President Education, President Activities and President Welfare here soon. You're also welcome to get in touch with current post holders as well as key support staff who work closely with them by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are Student Officers?
There are three Student Officers... President Education, President Activities, President Welfare... who are elected by students in March of each year and then take office in July. They get paid just over £23,000 per year and the roles last at least 12 months, they can seek re-election for a second and final year in office. Their role and responsibilities include...
- Overseeing the running of the Students' Union
- Being lead members of the SU Board of Trustees
- Representing all students to the most senior figures at Teesside Uni including the Board of Governors, Vice-Chancellor and his executive as well as external bodies such as The National Union of Students (NUS).
- Working closely with permanent staff, student reps and student staff to keep developing and improving the Students' Union.
- Working closely with a range of Teesside Uni staff on events, campaigns and initiatives to keep developing the student experience.
- Leading on various campaigns and big events runs by the Students' Union throughout the academic year.
What are the main reasons I should stand for a position?
- It's a unique opportunity to make a REAL difference to students' lives and help improve the Students' Union.
- It's a chance to gain unrivalled experience and skills which will give you a real advantage in the job market when you complete your time in office. Even if you don't win just being a candidate is an amazing experience!
- If you win you get paid over £20,000 per year and it's a full-time job for at least 12 months.
- It's hard work but also lots of fun being a candidate or going on to be a Student Officer with a chance to meet a wide range of people and do something different every day!
- Previous candidates and Officers have gone on to work in a wide range of exciting and high profile roles at universities, students' unions, NUS, business, the charitable sector and more!
- No previous experience or involvement in the Students' Union is needed (though it is helpful! All you need is a willingness to work hard and a passion for making a difference to students' lives!
What are the key things I need to remember?
- The roles are fun and rewarding but hard work too! They are a job and they are not 9 to 5...there'll be early starts, late finishes and weekend work. Your social life will need to take a back seat for the time you're in office.
- Students can run for a position at any point in their time at uni but we always recommend leaving it until you are about to complete your studies.
- You don't need previous experience or a lot of past involvement in the SU (though that is helpful we won't lie!) but you do need a passion for the Students' Union and making a difference to student life.
- Lots of training and support will be provided before you start the role and throughout your time in office from SU staff, Uni staff and NUS.
- You may not be able to run for a Student Officer role or take up a position if you're not going to be a current student when elections are held or don't meet other criteria for being a Trustee of a registered charity like the Students' Union. Click here for more info on the criteria or e-mail: email@example.com for a confidential discussion about your eligibility.